Home spa day

I was just wondering… do you have a spa day at home? Do you honestly stick to your routine? It’s really interesting what kind of beauty procedures people do to maintain radiant and clear skin, sleek and shiny hair… I keep thinking is it enough to just choose one day and try to keep up with the regime?  Isn’t it great to wake up on a Saturday morning and immerse ourselves into a natural, orange and vanilla scented beauty routine!

I start my spa day with 2 cups of water (just like every day) to clear my body from all the build up. I then look into the fridge and cupboards to see what do I have in my kitchen I could use…  I like making different hair masks every week, different sugar/salt body scrubs (I noticed that lately I have been using mainly salty ones) and I always stick to my clay face masks. I am telling you, clay face masks are so miraculous and effective, clearing, gently exfoliating, nourishing and powerful, that I just can’t get enough of them!

Let’s start with a Homemade hair mask. When I was little, my mum always washed my hair with egg yolks. I never had any dandruff until, in my teens, I started using lots of and I mean lots of, so fashionable and so damaging, hair spray! The best thing about this mask is that it’s so easily made and the ingredients are so simple.

eggy masks

1-2 egg yolks (depending on your hair length)

2 tbsp of honey

1 tsp of dried/fresh rosemary

1/4 cup of olive oil, or any other oil. It’s great if you have some coconut oil!

1 tsp of apple cider vinegar.

In a double boiler, pour the oil and add the rosemary. Heat it up a little bit until the herb releases its oils and gorgeous flavour. Sieve the oil and cool it down.

In a bowl, whisk the eggs with a hand mixer or a whisk. Slowly pour the oil while mixing. Add the vinegar and there, you have a lovely home made mayonnaise! Finally mix in the honey. Egg yolks have a good foaming ability so it will be very easy to rub the mask into your hair. Apply the mask to your damp hair and wash it out well after 20 minutes.

While the mask is nurturing our hair, let’s quickly mix up some Salty orange & vanilla body scrub.

day spa

2 tbs of sea salt

1 cup cup coconut (or any other) oil

5-10 drops of orange and vanilla essential oils

Grind the salt and mix it with the oil. Add the essential oils. Can you smell it? Gorgeous scrub!

Try this delightful, nourishing and refreshing honey & cream clay face mask. I didn’t have any fruit to mix the clay with this time, but the honey and double cream was all I needed! Add a fresh strawberry and it will be simply mind blowing! I wish I could keep it on for longer than 10 minutes! But that, unfortunately, will not do us any good! As much as it can be enjoyable, clay face mask will draw the moisture out if left on for too long! So be aware, enjoy it and wash it off!

Clay mask

2 tbsp of blue clay (you may use your favourite)

1 tbsp double cream

1 tbsp honey

Add the cream and the honey to the clay and mix well until you form a nice and smooth paste. Please don’t use any metal while using clay as it tends to draw all the chemicals out of metal equipment. For the best results, use a plastic spoon and a glass bowl. Apply the mask to your clean skin and off to the shower after 10 minutes!

Comments

WOW! This is great post. To be honest, I didn’t interest with these kind of beauty routines or things… but a few years ago I started. Yes, late but at least I do care now… I loved this recipe for my hair…. I want to try this dear Kristina… And what a delicious breakfast… I want to fly there. Thank you, have a nice and enjoyable weekend, with my love, nia

Yes, the breakfast was lovely :) Poached eggs with salmon – my favourite :) The hair mask is really nice and it leave hair soft and lovely :) My hair really loves it :) Try it! I hope you like the mask :) I am actually wearing a coconut butter hair mask :) I hop you had a lovely weekend!

Thank you dearest, I will try… I had a nice weekend because my son here but tomorrow morning he will go again to his work in another city. BUT but I have a wonderful news to share with you, I will write you soon. Have a nice day, with my love, nia

I will be looking forward to your news Nia :) Enjoy your evening!

I need to get better about drinking water first thing in the morning. I always start with tea…but water is so much better. Great routine! I love your commitment.

I try to drink as much water as possible :) Well, at least 2 l a day :) Sometimes it can be very challenging, but I always carry a bottle of water with me :) Nothing moisturises our skin and hair better than water! Glad you liked my beauty routine :)

Yes, i always start with coffee and need to drink water, first thing! The breakfast looks divine, courtesy of Charlie? And you are just such an inspiration with your skin and hair routine. I found a great conditioning spray – SachaJuan – that adores my hair (makes it soft) and am realising that all pharmacy brands are just so bad for the hair. Natural is better, and your posts remind us of that. Thank you!

That’s what I used to do :) But then I would get bad stomach aches and so now I always drink 2 big glasses of water first thing in the morning :) One before the shower and one after while cooking my oat porridge for breakfast :) I have a very complex digestion, so the water helps me a lot :) Add a little bit of fresh lemon juice to your water, it will kick off the metabolism! :)

I am glad you think that natural is better, the more people think that way, the better! I am trying not to be snobbish about all that green thing, but I really like things natural and especially hand made :) I love my own made skin care products, that way I know what’s in it, it’s just like home made food :) But I am not totally against other brands, maybe just Loreal, I never liked their stuff and I never want to use it! :)

I never knew the SachaJuan brand, it looks great, and their websites is so clean and simple :) I’ll have to check it out in more detail :)

Yes, i have been consciously drinking water as I get up, and recently read a blog post about lemon and water. You may like it: inpursuitofmore.wordpress.com I drink alot of water, tea, coffee, kombucha, berry juice… but need to time it all better! So glad you checked out sachajuan – it is from Stockholm. There is absolutely nothing snobby about believing in natural and green ingredients – to make a change, we need to stand by what’s best for the environment! I use Lumene for my skin. It is a pharmacy brand and I Iike it;it seems natural, from Finland. Maybe you could tell me your thoughts on it? Also, do you ever go on etsy.com ? They have great handmade products and it could be a good storefront for you, to start with?

Thanks for the link, looks like a fun and interesting blog :) I used to use Lumene mascara a few years ago and I loved it, but then they stopped making it for some reason and substituted with other mascara which wasn’t really the same… So I stopped using Lumene all together :) They use really Nice ingredients in their skin care though :) I think, the most important thing is how you feel, if your skin likes it, then there is no reason not to use the product :) Yes, I like etsy.com, it’s a great platform to start selling things and I have considered it as well as Amazon :) Amazon is great in terms of selling, taking payments, packing, shipping, but there are some special requirements for beauty products :) Research in progress 😀

good luck with researching re: the business outlet. Also, Lumene doesn’t seem to sell makeup here; just skincare. Thanks for your thoughts!

Niiice! I use that natural hair mask too! you should check out my blog too! i have a lot of natural treatments for hair and skin.. ( Now I’m craving for that breakfast! YUM!)

Thank you for stopping by I will definitely check out your blog! :) That breakfast was really nice, I am hoping for the same standard this weekend 😀

Your beauty routines always sounds so cozy and wonderful to me. What a lovely way to indulge and greet the weekend. I feel like I should invest in a softy, fluffy bathrobe as a start, before following your lead!

Thank you 😀 I love my soft bathrobe, but I might need to invest in a new one as well :) Living in Spain you might not need a warm one, but it’s always nice to wrap up after bath treats :)

Loved all of your recipes! And I love how you have a little “natural” spa day once a week. I must start doing that. Like you, I love clay masks! I didn’t know that about using a metal spoon to mix the clay…will definitely start using non-metal to mix. Thanks for sharing!

I am glad you liked the recipes :) I love making all these little treats in my kitchen and then using them to pamper my skin :) Tonight I am making creamy coconut body scrub and I can’t wait :) also a clay mask with avocado :) I read a few articles about using clays and apparently it’s best to use plastic, glass or wooden equipment to while handling clay. It’s not advisable to keep clay in metal tins either, because clay has ability to draw out all the chemicals out of the metal and I wouldn’t want to put something like this on my skin :)